Saturday, January 5, 2013

Homesite Visit - Week 12 Mild Freak out!

Let me get my freak out, out of the way.  Good news is, the granite counters in the kitchen got installed!! WOOHOO!   Bad news?  While I knew they were installing the 4 inch granite back splash thing, I didn't know that it would look that awful! When I saw it in the breakfast bar area, I was SO UPSET.  The picture doesn't look as bad as in person.  I just simply do not like it.  I emailed Adam to see if he can have it removed.  I was planning anyway to install my own subway tile backs plash when we move in, so the walls won't go long without protection.  I am PRAYING that he says its no problem!!

Here is the pic.  Its a little out of focus....  see the section that connects the lower counter to the upper?  UGH, its AWFUL!  I know its fixable, but still.  Why didn't I see that coming? lol

 

 Okay I feel better now that my freak out is over!  On to more important things.

We did have heat.  It was great.  There were no chilly spots or hot spots.  I guess we have that Energy Star 3.0 certification to thank for that!  Our water heater was placed in the closet with HVAC.  It really does look like R2D2.  (M, I am officially stealing your idea of calling it R2D2, anything else wouldn't seem appropriate!)  However, R2D2 is not hooked up just yet.

We had working lights, light switches and electrical outlets!  All of our toilets, sinks and other plumbing fixtures were installed.  The trinity installer was also there working on our security system and surround sound.  He did mention that a jump wire to connect our CO detector was missing.  I sure hope they dont have to rip down any drywall to fix that!

All appliances were there with the exception of the dishwasher.  Nothing was fully installed yet.  I did notice that the stove was not the one we were promised.  The one we thought we were getting had a 5th burner on it and the one that was in our house only had 4.  It also had less stainless steel finish than the one we were supposed to get.  It seems like a pretty substantial downgrade....  Our AWESOME SR Lauren is working the issue, so hopefully it turns out in our favor.

They had to remove the center cabinet to install the vent for our microwave.  This is one of the things Adam emailed us to warn us about so we wouldn't have a heart attack when we visited. 

Everything is looking great!  It wasn't as terribly messy as we had expected which is a nice surprise.  There really isn't much left to do.  A bunch of little things to do, but as far as big things we are just waiting on all appliance installations, carpet, full installation of the water heater and the washer and dryer.  Not much right?  Check out our pics below.











11 comments:

  1. Everything is coming together nicely, Cami!! What do you want to change your backsplash out too? It really doesn't look bad and it is hard to tell what you are talking about from the picture since it's blurry.

    So sweet to have a double shower heard!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our isn't a true back splash like yours Nadase. This is basically just a 4 inch piece of granite installed on the wall. We didn't want to pay extra for an upgrade because I wanted to try to install one myself once we close.

      I will try to get better pictures next time to give you an idea of what it looks like. It probably would be fine if the granite wasn't so darn busy. There is just too much going on in that corner for it to be all granite there. But I guess it could be worse!!

      Delete
    2. Got it Cami!! I understand exactly what you mean! Honestly, I love the color of our backsplash but the granite is throwing it off because of the swirl pattern. I realize that it has to be a very neutral backsplash to tone down the busyness of the granite. It looks like you have the darker version of the three variations of St. Cecilia! I really like the medium and darker version for our cabinet choice so I am happy we received one of the two.

      I can't wait to see what you choose for your granite. As you see I am having nightmares over mine. lol Hope you stay on the blog with your house decorations.

      Delete
    3. I fully intend to share my home decor as well! I have a ton of DIY projects planned including the backsplash, finishing the 2nd powder room, better shelving in the pantry, office closet and laundry room, as we as some creative trim work forthe whole house!

      I too like your backsplash, it's just that St. Cecelia is a complicated color option, lol. It goes beautifully with your cabinets. When I saw yours with the granite I almost decided to paint my cabinets after closing!!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of the granite trim pieces either. I'm sure the subway tiles will look much better because that will break up the granite a bit in that breakfast bar area.

    I'm jealous... we haven't seen R2D2 out of the box yet! =)

    The house is looking good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M! I'll be honest, I didn't know we would be receiving a water heater that looked like that. I am just so used to the standard looking ones. I wonder what makes this one so special?

      Can't wait to see that granite trim gone!

      Delete
    2. I got the scoop on R2D2 today at our walk-through. Our PM said that the water coming into the house may be 50-60 degrees and most hot water heaters heat the water to 120 degrees. R2D2 has a heat pump on top that basically preheats the water to 80-90 degree that way the hot water heater doesn't have to work as hard to heat the water. He also said that an added benefit of this type of hot water heater is that it acts as a dehumidifier, which is great for us because it'll pull some of the moisture out of the air and eliminate the potential need for a dehumidifier for the basement once we finish it. It's also really cool because it has buttons for different energy saving modes so you can tailor it to your individual needs.

      Delete
    3. Excellent information M! I totally forgot you had your walk through today!!!!! I hope it went well and can't wait to hear about it.

      Delete
  3. Looking very nice, since the pic is fuzzy I guess we don't see how bad you see it! It looks good in that pic...

    I will switch you, I have an old fashion water tank, no R2D2 for me....

    I am sooooooooooooo nervous to see my granite....you guys have me a nervous wreck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be willing to bet your water heater has a larger capacity, which is a good thing.

      Don't get me wrong, I love my granite, I just don't like the little 4 inch trim piece they installed. It's an easy fix. Don't fret about your granite, it will look great!

      Delete
    2. Yes, DW! We LOVE our granite and so will you!! I don't care what granite color you receive in St. Cecilia with the three variations because they all are pretty. The challenge comes with matching it up with other things.

      DON't WORRY, DW!! You will be fine!!

      Delete